The packaging engineer will serve as a packaging expert to direct, develop and design materials for safe convenient and attractive brand appropriate transport of the goods dealing with plastic, films, paperboard and corrugated materials. Evaluate packaging and transportation methods and procedures to ensure compliance with safety and quality standard and work to identify continuous improvement and cost saving opportunities.
• Develops primary and secondary packaging in a wide range of materials including thermoforms, blister cards, clamshells, polybags, folding cartons and corrugated boxes.
• Develops point of purchase displays of all types including pallet, hanging and floor displays.
• To advise and assist sourcing, manufacturing, marketing, sales personnel, and customers regarding technical options related to the most cost effective and functional packaging for the application.
• Insures through appropriate drop and vibration testing that product integrity will be maintained throughout the supply chain.
• To investigate, analyze, and determine solutions, design, and implement new package designs and/or technical changes to existing products in order to improve design, customer and consumer performance, optimal cost and design for manufacturability.
• Generate die lines and 3D renderings per retail requirement for the Marketing/Sourcing teams to get initial costing. Calculate pallet dimensions and container size per retail requirement and utilize space efficiently.
• To assist Director of Engineering and Quality Assurance on Value Analysis/Special Engineering Projects.
• Provide support to suppliers during the packaging and assembly of displays at our manufacturing and distribution centers globally.
Skills and Qualifying Experience:
• Knowledge of CAD tools such as ArtiosCAD, TOP PRO palletized, for product design and documentation. Experience in 3D CAD such as Solidworks a plus.
• Experience in developing retail consumer product packaging and merchandising vehicles.
• BS degree in Packaging or Mechanical or related Engineering discipline with 2+ years of packaging development.
• Knowledge of packaging manufacturing processes and package material science.
• Knowledge of ISTA test standards.
• Ability to interact and communicate effectively in verbal and written forms in a cross functional environment with other engineers, customers, vendors, sales and marketing, and manufacturing personnel.
• Proactive and process driven professional style. Ability to adapt to fast pace environments.
• Limited travel.