Develops mechanical and electromechanical parts, assemblies and ultimately products via computer aided design (CAD) by researching and testing geometries, mates, materials, manufacturing and assembly methods and verifying principals of mechanical engineering. Works in a highly cross functional environment with Brand, Marketing, Product Design, Product Development, Project Management, Sales, Supply Chain and overseas teams developing and executing new products to meet multiple objectives. Partners with colleagues in QA and the extended team in Asia in developing manufacturing quality control processes, standard operating procedures, production line fixtures for mass production. Value engineers existing mechanical and electromechanical products to improve performance, reduce cost, increase production capacity and/or reduce supply chain lead time. Works in a fast paced highly dynamic environment.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Partners with Product Design at the output of Product Design’s product concept and ideation sessions providing input on how product concepts might be manufactured and provides cost estimations associated with such.
- Provides initial tool plan for first cost estimation from Cost Engineering
Product Development & Design
- Develops new mechanical and electromechanical products via computer aided design (CAD) to meet anticipated functionality at target ex-factory costs through understanding consumer requirements, and by evaluating manufacturability and creating designs for manufacturability.
- Analyzes product designs to identify and implement engineering methodologies that will meet design intent and product performance expectations. Prototypes alternate design paths, tests, records and communicates product design variations to Product Design/Development teams.
- Executes design-related projects, which result in specifications, detail drawings and bills of materials for new products. Executes within time frames established by Product Management’s stage gate new product development timeline. Responsible for the final design and execution of new products.
- Communicates with overseas team in Asia daily via email, telephony, video, text, etc. as necessary. Communication topics with overseas team includes but are not limited to; product commercialization schedule and adherence to, project milestones, prototype tools and parts development progress, tooling design, execution and schedule, material and component specifications and sources, component and product ex-factory cost analysis, product safety, samples requests, lab testing, product cost and cost increase mitigation strategies, risk to new product launch, launch assessment and
- Works in a highly cross functional environment with Marketing, Product Design, R&D, Purchasing, Project Management, Supply Chain, Package Engineering, Safety and Regulatory developing and executing new products to meet multiple objectives of cost, performance and launch timing. Makes recommendations to management related new product schedules, progress in the development process and proposed changes in product designs and program execution.
- Assures product quality by designing testing methods, testing finished goods, evaluating injection (and other manufacturing process) molded parts, confirming assembly and anticipated functionality.
- Responsible for project success whether project leader or as part of a project team.
- Works closely with QA and Sales team to monitor new item product launches as they are used by our customers. Meets with Consumer Affairs to monitor consumer calls about newly launched items.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, mechanical and/or electronics preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience conceiving and engineering plastic parts, mechanical assemblies, subassemblies, prototype tools, production tools and development and overall product engineering for the consumer product market. Mechanical engineering for the Toy market a plus.
- Outstanding communication, interaction and problem-solving skills.
- Significant skill and mastery in command of CAD (Computer-Aided Design) for 2 dimensional and 3-dimensional part and assembly creation. (Solid Works, Pro Engineer and AutoCAD)
- Knowledge and experience of tooling for plastic parts. Familiar and practiced in creating Designs for Manufacturability (DFM) along with dimensional and functional accuracy of part drawings, product specifications, equations, and tool diagrams.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of Mechanical Engineering. Applies principals of mechanics and material science to various types of projects.
- Ability to plan projects, work on multiple projects, prepare related designs, schedules and specifications.
- Ability and experience in using engineering instruments and equipment.
- Ability to prepare reports, project summaries and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets professional documents, technical procedures and materials and components data sheets.
- Can effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, customers, and multidisciplinary team members
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to use a computer. Considerable knowledge of PC operations and software (productivity tools) are required.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as needed specifically related to executing the product to meet cost, performance and schedule metrics.