The Industrial Designer has a contagious imagination, a solid sense of design and color sensibility is proficient in translating concepts to drawings and drawing to 2D and 3D CAD across a variety of software suites. Designs from initial product concept ideation up to and through engineering stages in a fast-paced rapid prototyping process.
Professional competencies include highly skilled in visualization, having a keen eye for form and aesthetics, exceptional talent in ideation, and strong foundation in sketching. The Industrial Designer is a team player who assists in various tasks including package designs, hand built prototypes, WLLL models (works like, looks like) 3D printing and rapid prototyping.
Role Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Partners with Product Design on product ideation and concept generation. sessions
- Provides input on how product concepts might be manufactured.
- Provides 3D design suggestions and direction.
Product Design & Development
- Sketching – Develops new ideas through rapid ideation, 2D sketching and 3D CAD while considering cost and manufacturability.
- 3D Modeling- Excellent at thinking and executing in a 3D space includes surfacing and 3D modeling skills (Solidworks, Rhino, Pro Engineer, Fusion and/or Keyshot preferred)
- Rapid Prototyping – Industrial designer is expected to create rapid prototypes through a variety of means including but not limited to; hand models made of foam core, Renshape or other suitable modeling compounds, 3D prints from CAD ready for additive manufacturing for evaluation and review from Brand, Marketing, and Product Management.
- Design documentation – Creates, edits and updates documentation to communicate design intent to internal and overseas team members.
- DFM (Design for Manufacturing) – Understands broadly how toys are manufactured and creates well defined DFM specification that communicate the design language and intent to our overseas team and ultimately to our manufacturers.
- Works in a highly cross functional environment with Brand, Marketing, Product Design, Product Development, Sourcing, Logistics and Sales developing and executing new products to meet multiple objectives of cost, performance and launch timing. Makes recommendations to management related new product schedules, progress in the development process and proposed changes in product designs and program execution.
- Responsible for project success whether project leader or as part of a project team.
Skills and Qualifications
- 3+ years of progressive experience in the field of Industrial Design. Toy experience a big plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Industrial Design
- Excellent sketching, form development, CAD modeling, rendering, and graphic skills
- Proficient in relevant software: Adobe CC, Solidworks, Pro-E, Keyshot, Rhino, Fusion, Rendering Tools
- Experience building proof of concept models and working with 3D print shops, shop tools, materials, and the manufacturing processes
- Comfortable with all phases of the design process - from research to concept development and detail design for manufacturing
- Strong ability in hands on model making/prototyping
- Willingness to work closely with, and take direction from, senior design team members
- Ability to prepare reports, project summaries and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets professional documents, technical procedures and materials and components data sheets.
- Can effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, customers, and multidisciplinary team members