Management for all import processing and programs. Manage day to day operations of imports to deliver containers on time to internal or external customers. Monitors inbound freight to ensure timely delivery and communicates updates to all stakeholders on a regular basis. Responsible for managing budgeted costs within department. Negotiates rates with ocean carriers and expedited freight requests as well as drayage. This position is considered the expert in the company and provides Horizon with industry updates/changes that may impact our business.
The Logistics Director shall conduct his/her activities in accordance with the company’s guidelines and principles. He/she is responsible for and has commensurate authority over each of the following areas:
• Negotiate with freight carriers on a yearly contract to ensure HGUS has the most competitive rates
• Maintain all records and documentation necessary to meet domestic and international requirements.
• C-TPAT Management
• Insure that all ocean containers are received and returned in the time frame necessary to avoid demiurge and per diem charges.
• Provide list of inbound containers being delivered to all distribution centers each morning.
• Routing of inbound shipments (ocean, land, air – that are not prescribed by vendors/customers, Freight rates (domestic and import/export), Shipment tracing (inbound/outbound), Import custom clearance, Maintaining Customer Routing Guides, Carrier service levels, Freight bills and Freight claims,
• Provide daily progress updates on inbound containers and/or trailers that are identified as hot for inventory or order fill requirements.
• Responsible for operating the department within the budget established.
• Coordinate and prioritize the movement of export and import freight by service commitment and revenue gain.
• Perform all required freight functions in support of overall international requirements.
• Management the customs brokerage operations and maintaining of all U.S. Customs compliance issues.
• Develop strong relationships with ocean and air carriers so that international has a “preferred” standing in the priority handling of cargo.
• Be a primary contact for local or regional customers at a level above the day to day issue resolution.
• Maintain established service performance levels.
• Provide leadership, guidance, training, compensation management and performance feedback for direct reports. Mentor, coach, challenge and evaluate team members. Provide additional training opportunities as they arise. Participate in the recruitment and selection process for new associates.
• Stay abreast of advances and changes in the transportation and logistics industries as well as general business developments.
• Ensure that team members have the necessary tools/resources to achieve assigned tasks in a quality/efficient manner.
• Ensure compliance with written operating plan and procedures.
• Identify and suggest HTS and NMFC codes
• Import/export Duty Drawbacks
• Continuous process improvement
Skills and Qualifying Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required. Major course of study in logistics, transportation, international or business preferred.
• 5-10 years of international transportation operation experience and warehousing and air or ocean carrier experience desirable.
• International travel experience and overseas business experience
• Comfortable working with individuals with difference languages and cultures.
• Proven leadership skills in a team environment.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks/projects
• Excellent communication skills combined with customer service skills/experience
• Demonstrated stress tolerance and flexibility to changing priorities
• Effective decision making, sound judgment, and initiative
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Strong negotiation skills
• Strong understanding in customs compliance and regulation
• Freight forwarding or NVOCC experience preferred